Above My Doubts and Fears

"Whenever your heart starts to be anxious about the future, preach to your heart and say, ‘Heart, who do you think you are to be afraid of the future and nullify the promise of God? No, heart, I will not exalt myself with anxiety. I will humble myself in peace and joy as I trust this precious and great promise of God—He cares for me." -John Piper

If you have been a reader of Moo's Musing for a while now you know that this is something that I struggle with...A LOT! I am a planner. I have a type-A personality. I like things in order, and I like to know what is going to happen in the end. Since I have those characteristic traits I struggle with letting God lead. I am constantly reminding myself to give it God. Let Him handle it.

So when I read that quote up there from John Piper on tumblr it was really convicting. I know that I have my doubt, and that trusting God in His day to day plan rather than my own is very difficult. Yet, I never really thought of it as nullifying the promises of God.  That hurt me to think about! And to think that I might to be doing that to God!? HECK NO! I would never want to nullify God's promise. I know full fledged that everything God has promised is true and I do not doubt those promises. Yet, when I'm not trusting in His will and worrying about tomorrow, next week, or the coming years I'm not believing those promises. By not believing in those promises I'm saying they aren't true. 

Which is so so very wrong. I must remember that anxiety and worry about the future is putting God and his promises below myself. Which is in no place where He belongs. So I must preach at my heart. Over and over and over again. Continuing to tell myself that God's got it! He's in control of it all and what needs to happen is going to happen. He sees the bigger picture. It is all going to work out for the good of those who love Him. 

And that's what is on repeat in my head right now...once again. God's got it! He's in control and He deserves to be exalted above my doubts and fears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment